Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Own characters
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Own characters
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Fan Works
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazzeling diamond
Gypsy of Mystery

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Own characters Reply with quote

Has anyone (im sure many of u) created characters for ur aladdin fanfics? I love when people create really interesting characters that, in the story, don't seem as if the are secondary, they become as much as part of Aladdin fanfics as the rest of the of characters, it's like having a little piece of u in the story Very Happy im not srue if anyone gets me though!

If anyone replies, I'll tell them bout my created characters!

or u can check out my fic!

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2658020/1/

review if u do! please? Smile
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've created original character a-plenty. During the course of the stories, I've gotten right fond of them, too. However, I make an effort to keep my original characters at a non-Mary Sue level, so my original characters are a lot more like guest stars than anything else.

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just one character. A djinnie character, no doubt. No fan fics for the character, I just made her up for an RP with a friend. Really complicated background story, though. She deserves a fan fic... but I'm not a fan of fan fics. =o

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I have just one character. A djinnie character, no doubt. No fan fics for the character, I just made her up for an RP with a friend. Really complicated background story, though. She deserves a fan fic... but I'm not a fan of fan fics. =o

Awkward... I was logged in before posting this... DUN DUN DUN!
VampireNaomi
Sultan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm rather wary of original characters. Many people don't write them well and create annoying Mary Sues instead. Also, when I start reading a fanfic, I want to read about the Aladdin characters, not someone the author made up. I won't object to good, developed OCs, but if I start feeling like they're stealing the spotlight, I usually stop reading.

That said, I've created three OCs for my Mechanikles fic. They're his sister Aspasia, brother-in-law Simonides and nephew Pamphilos. Here's a picture of Aspasia.

What are traits that you like in OCs? What do you don't like? I usually loathe all child characters authors create, especially if they're the "My parents/guardian/etc. told me to remain safe here, but I'll act against all their orders because adults are stupid and don't realise that, as a child, I should be in the middle of action where I could easily get killed and ladida, I end up saving everyone's butt!" variety. And then nobody is even angry with the little bugger! Evil or Very Mad

I remember reading a Mozenrath fic in which he's paired with an original character who's just as evil as he is. It was rather impressive and very different from the other Mozenrath romances I've seen. I wish I could remember who wrote it.
Ruby Restless
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've created only one character... He's Aladdin's cousin, a prince in another city, and a good friend of Mozenrath's. He looks other ways just like Aladdin, but he has long brown hair. I will never publish the story thought. Rolling Eyes
VampireNaomi
Sultan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kapu wrote:
I will never publish the story thought. Rolling Eyes

Why not? It can't bet that bad.
Ruby Restless
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VampireNaomi wrote:
kapu wrote:
I will never publish the story thought. Rolling Eyes

Why not? It can't bet that bad.

I never manage to finish anything completely. And they're not that good either. Razz
I like drawing comics more.
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a genie character. I wrote her in because I needed a character who could technobabble, and there wasn't currently anyone qualified to do it. I was really, really afraid she wouldn't go over well, but she actually turned out a lot better than I thought she'd be.

Quote:
I'm rather wary of original characters. Many people don't write them well and create annoying Mary Sues instead. Also, when I start reading a fanfic, I want to read about the Aladdin characters, not someone the author made up. I won't object to good, developed OCs, but if I start feeling like they're stealing the spotlight, I usually stop reading.

I'm very careful never to let them steal the spotlight. The stories I wrote were written mainly from only canon characters' points of view rule. While I did end up with a fan character having a scene written from their point of view, it only happened once in each story, and it was rather brief and to-the-point.

AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to like creating new characters. And I found out something else about it, too. Something I hadn't realized before. Bringing original characters into a fanfic is a good way for me to develop them and put them in stories of their own, void of any copyrighted characters.

Sometimes, though, I don't feel original characters are called for, but that depends on the fanfic at hand. There's an Aladdin fanfic I wish to write, if I ever get a clear image in my head that will not likely have original characters. If I ever write any Little Mermaid fanfiction that takes place during the TV show or books, I won't create any characters, save for a background/second string character, if I need to. However, I made a solumn vow that if I ever write any Little Mermaid fanfiction from after the first movie, it will be as though LM2 never happened.

I also like making crossovers work, but hey, that's just me. I will say, though, that I can't fathom the idea of a crossover fic being void of comedy.

~Hikaru
dazzeling diamond
Gypsy of Mystery

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one! I created Nadira, a seductive gypsy and dancer, who is also a wind elemental, there's a lot more to her than meets the eye....but i can't explain it! it would take my entire firstfanfiction to! "Aladdin and the Amulet of Time" was where i introduced her.

She is also very much a part of the sequel "Love Will find a Way" which i am still writing. I drew a picture of her.

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/Bellydancinbeauty/?action=view&current=Nadira.jpg

I also created Tali, a headstrong teenager, who is Aladdin's younger sister in my story, he finds her under strange circumstances and this happens after KoT, here's a pic i drew of her

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/Bellydancinbeauty/?action=view&current=Tali.jpg

and here is one, for anyone who reads my fics! it has to do with the sequel story, and well, more secrets, so nothing is revealed in it, but i'll say, that the girl in the pic is Tali, but I won't say anymore as to who the guys is!

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/Bellydancinbeauty/?action=view&current=talinsharif.jpg

mind u, i drew it during class, so it's on lined paper!

More info? read my first fanfic!

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2658020/1/
dazzeling diamond
Gypsy of Mystery

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, this is kind of embarassing, but what EXACTLY are Mary-Sue's?

I have heard of them, and i have an idea of it, but what is it exactly? great, now i sound like a total fool!
AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazzeling diamond wrote:
also, this is kind of embarassing, but what EXACTLY are Mary-Sue's?

I have heard of them, and i have an idea of it, but what is it exactly? great, now i sound like a total fool!

I think it's the feminine version of "Joe Shmoe"? Right? A generic Miss Nobody who enters a fanfic?

~Hikaru
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't sound like a fool.

A Mary Sue (or just Sue) is a fictional character, the term originating from fan fiction, who is an idealised stand-in for the author. It is also sometimes used to describe any stand-in for the author (whether idealized or not), any idealized character (whether a stand-in for the author or not), or any original character in fan-fiction.

Basically, a cliche character
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary-Sues are a bit more complicated than a simple author stand-in or cliche character. I could go into a lengthy explanation, but seeing as how other people've already gone to the work on Wikipedia, I'll just post a link to their page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Fan Works All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum