Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - If You Were to Reboot the Aladdin series
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If You Were to Reboot the Aladdin series
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2024 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
AladdinsGenie wrote:
And some I know would almost HAVE to make a reappearance again (uuuugh, Mozenrath Laughing)

Is this an actual "ugh"? Are you tired of Moz?

It's a "three in the morning I realized Mozenrath - considered the best villain of the series - is defeated four times by *Iago*, and didn't think not once to go after him but instead Genie multiple times in an attempt to depower him for his own personal gain and depower the gang overall for meddling in his affairs" ugh Laughing

If he comes back, he really needs to address and go after the bird - who knew of his mentor and immediately where the gang was transported to thanks to years of seedy adventures with Jafar - and not Aladdin (who is not your brother; that is one thing we are so not doing in the reboot either), not Jasmine (who has made it very clear if she catches him again she's going to kick his ass and then she's going to let her husband kick his ass if there is any ass left to kick once she's done Laughing), or Genie (who is literally not the only genie out there with magic to take; I've always wondered if his obsession with him specifically is because he knew his body couldn't handle the power of a not freed Genie, so the power of a slightly depowered one - who are probably harder to come by - might work better).

And given he's hanging out with Cassim now, who also knows a thing or two about magical going-ons in the desert, there could be some really interesting interplay there. I get he's one of the few villains in the series that you have to out-think, and he's clearly supposed to be some sort of foil to Aladdin, but they just end up resorting to fighting on sight instead of an actual duel of the minds when they get in the same space. The character needs to be refocused, I think, because by the time he shows up to be like "I'm here to take your genie for myself" the gang is like "buddy, stand in line with the others" Laughing

Meesh wrote:
AladdinsGenie wrote:
It should take place a few years after KOT. but I can't decide if I want the Sultan around or not.

We should kill him... EVENTUALLY Smile Make it a whole thing. Make it good. If the series has a tone of "The writers are taking this show seriously" with a good mix of risk, heart, and levity, it could be done.

But not before he gets some more development and there is, like you said, plenty of him showing Aladdin the ropes and stuff.

Yeah, I'm thinking about the second How To Train Your Dragon movie and how it's handled there. Death is one of those subjects I think Disney has become more bold about approaching head-on so maybe it could be done right.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2024 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasir and Mirage do need to come back, though, because his brother is a cyclops and his ex-girlfriend was turned into a cat. Like, we need more info stat Laughing

And really, we should have been introduced to a new royal vizier in the series, but I think once Aladdin turned Sultan down it was implied the gang filled that spot informally. They were out getting information about the city and its surroundings to report back to him and make decisions on what to do anyway. Also, I'm remembering in the beginning of the series they were weird about Genie being out in public or known about in general, so maybe there was no one they could bring into the madness that happens behind the scenes at the palace who they could trust.

Also, I was reading letters written by kids to the Disney comic book series in the 90s, and one of the writers definitely mentioned there was going to be a follow-up comic with Eden which almost certainly had to include Dhandi. I always wonder what happened to that comic because it was never published in the one they said it would be Crying or Very sad
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2024 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's why I was thinking involving a whole band of djinn could be cool, maybe as a final hail mary plan from Mozenrath, and also as a way to introduce new characters and ideas.

I never thought about how many times Iago defeated Moz, so your mini-rant got me to chuckle Laughing

Yes I easily accepted that the king of thieves was Aladdin's father in 1996, but Mozenrath also being his brother? ... that would be jumping the sand shark Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2024 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He controlled the wind jackal Sirocco by mimicking his voice and telling him to disappear, he commanded the sprites to remove the sun Mozenrath was using to look for the power of Shamash and hide his gauntlet in the desert, caused Amin-working-for-Mozenrath's plan to fail by getting the sultan back and restored from being a statue, and he removed the collar off the Thirdac which started attacking Mozenrath and caused him to send it back to where it came from.

The rest is Jasmine trapping him inside the crystal of ix, Genie hitting Mozenrath with his own magic out a window and eventually falling into black sand, Aladdin's *spirit* having to fight him from within (and then Genie putting him in a cage and hot air balloon to be sent away once he got back into his own body), Genie and Eden having to get rid of the Philosopher's Stone to re-imprison Khartoum and pull the plug on Mozenrath's plan, and Muktaar betraying Mozenrath to save Genie and trap Mozenrath with his bolas.

It's like Aladdin said, he's not as ruthless as that parrot Laughing

Like, don't get me wrong - I find it fascinating that the characters who are all about strategy and being clever and using your brain resorts to throwing hands when they see Mozenrath because he has the most punchable face to them. But he doesn't exactly give them a run for their money outside of having to keep Genie safe. He's someone I think could have benefited from a little backstory outside of giving his hand for power and wanting more of it.

Mozenrath would have been from a one-night stand Cassim would rather die than talk about if they were really related Laughing
zitagirl
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2024 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, your talk about Mozenrath really started to turn the gears in my head and now I want him to have a more role in the story than originally planned (albeit I still want him to become his own demise though, haha).

However, I'm not sure about the whole "exploring his backstory" thing. I can see the potential in it, but if I'm gonna be honest, I'm not that interested in it. Destane had him under his wings, Mozenrath turned him into a mamlock and in order to gain power, he sacrificed his right arm and whatever he used to gain said power is also now draining from his own life energy and causing his body to basically die.

Like yeah, probably would be nice to see what really turned him into what he is, but given Destane was told to be even worse than Jafar and somehow a much younger and less experienced Mozenrath defeated him, yet later on gets defeated 4 times by freaking Iago and by just the gang in usual without actually using their usual method.... forget about Abis Mal, Mozenrath is even a bigger joke than him. Laughing

Okay, jokes aside, he is a cool villain and like you guys said, a foil to Aladdin(though I agree, I wouldn'+t keep the whole brother theory in a supposed reboot either), but in insight, it's kinda funny to think about how he keeps getting defeated.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
And really, we should have been introduced to a new royal vizier in the series, but I think once Aladdin turned Sultan down it was implied the gang filled that spot informally. They were out getting information about the city and its surroundings to report back to him and make decisions on what to do anyway. Also, I'm remembering in the beginning of the series they were weird about Genie being out in public or known about in general, so maybe there was no one they could bring into the madness that happens behind the scenes at the palace who they could trust.

I guess even they figured out that if they want to hire someone in such high position after Jafar, it better be someone they fully can trust.
And yeah, you remember correctly, Aladdin was very cautious with having Genie around in the public but I guess as they had more adventures and more people learnt about them, there was no real point hiding anymore and the people of Agrabah overall had good interactions with him.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Yeah, I'm thinking about the second How To Train Your Dragon movie and how it's handled there. Death is one of those subjects I think Disney has become more bold about approaching head-on so maybe it could be done right.

Am I really the only 1 who would be happy with the Sultan just die due to old age? Like I know the Sultan is capable a lot of things if he gets his mind on it, but I really just imagined his last years pretty calm and be able to spend some time with the grandkids and just see how happy Jasmine is.

Cassim and Iago definitely should be revisited and would like to see what trouble they are getting into, but Iadmittedly also had a little flashback in mind for Cassim, Aladdin's mother and how they meet and even a younger Jafar. Like I know we have the comics where she was shown in 1 story plus Howard Ashman's version but I would like her to be also more established and see just who she really was before Cassim left her.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2024 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who would you say is actually the biggest intellectual threat - Mirage?
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2024 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either Mirage or Mozenrath really and I only slightly go for Mirage because she's a lot more experienced compared to Mozenrath.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2024 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zitagirl wrote:
However, I'm not sure about the whole "exploring his backstory" thing.

Well, when I say he could have benefitted from a little more backstory, I don't necessary mean exploring it like a flashback to the day he turned bad or something like that. What I mean is a lot of the Aladdin villains are after power of some sort. It's one of those built-in themes that rolled over from the first movie because power in and of itself is not inherently good or bad. It's what you do with it that makes a difference. So giving him more infused reasons to help distinguish why he's after power would have benefitted his character in comparison to the others, in my opinion, because relying on the fact he's Aladdin's supposed narrative foil doesn't do much.

We don't know if he gave his right arm for power before, during, or after meeting Destain (especially since he mentioned he was looking for the book of Khartoum for seven years, which would have made him like 12-13 at the time). He mentions to Aladdin that the power of a genie was "handed to him on a silver platter" - does he feel entitled to power? Does he has something to prove? Was he taught that's the only way to gain respect? Does he want power for revenge? Power for power's sake? Did something bad happen because he didn't have power and now he's on a quest to gain as much of it as possible to prevent that from ever happening again? Is he, too, trying to attain some type of 'freedom' through power (another central Aladdin theme), but is now essentially 'trapped' having to constantly seek it out to possibly save himself as his body caves in on itself? That's what I mean.

Quote:
Am I really the only 1 who would be happy with the Sultan just die due to old age? Like I know the Sultan is capable a lot of things if he gets his mind on it, but I really just imagined his last years pretty calm and be able to spend some time with the grandkids and just see how happy Jasmine is.

No, I don't mind if he died of old age. Me mentioning that film wasn't to say he needs to die like Stoick did (I hope I'm not ruining this movie for anyone - I think we have a spoiler code but I don't remember how to use it if we did Laughing). Just that it can be done (and done well) in media meant for kids and demonstrate what kind of tone can be struck without having to water it down too much.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2024 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's part of what makes Mozenrath so interesting. He took down this crazy powerful sorcerer at such a young age and now lives completely alone, trying to rely on magical beings and artifacts he digs up to do his work for him, while essentially falling apart. There's a big existential hole there, and he keeps trying to fill it with more power. But for what? I think part of it is to restore his failing body, but I think there's more in there that he refuses to confront.
Goth Genie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2024 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want Mirage to get the Lola Bunny treatment. I hate her so much for that reason alone.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2024 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Rose wrote:
I want Mirage to get the Lola Bunny treatment. I hate her so much for that reason alone.

You mean what they did to her characterization on The Looney Tunes Show versus Space Jam? That's a cruel fate Laughing
zitagirl
Elemental

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Well, when I say he could have benefitted from a little more backstory, I don't necessary mean exploring it like a flashback to the day he turned bad or something like that. What I mean is a lot of the Aladdin villains are after power of some sort. It's one of those built-in themes that rolled over from the first movie because power in and of itself is not inherently good or bad. It's what you do with it that makes a difference. So giving him more infused reasons to help distinguish why he's after power would have benefitted his character in comparison to the others, in my opinion, because relying on the fact he's Aladdin's supposed narrative foil doesn't do much.

We don't know if he gave his right arm for power before, during, or after meeting Destain (especially since he mentioned he was looking for the book of Khartoum for seven years, which would have made him like 12-13 at the time). He mentions to Aladdin that the power of a genie was "handed to him on a silver platter" - does he feel entitled to power? Does he has something to prove? Was he taught that's the only way to gain respect? Does he want power for revenge? Power for power's sake? Did something bad happen because he didn't have power and now he's on a quest to gain as much of it as possible to prevent that from ever happening again? Is he, too, trying to attain some type of 'freedom' through power (another central Aladdin theme), but is now essentially 'trapped' having to constantly seek it out to possibly save himself as his body caves in on itself? That's what I mean.

Ah, okay, I misunderstood it then. Yeah, I'm down for this kind of exploring of Mozenrath. Could be handled quite well, but I do think it shouldn1t be dragge dout much.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
No, I don't mind if he died of old age. Me mentioning that film wasn't to say he needs to die like Stoick did (I hope I'm not ruining this movie for anyone - I think we have a spoiler code but I don't remember how to use it if we did Laughing). Just that it can be done (and done well) in media meant for kids and demonstrate what kind of tone can be struck without having to water it down too much.

Ah, fair enough. Yeah, definitely leaning into that kinda of handling of more mature topics without stupid MCU-like humor (sorry, but it overstayed its welcome a bit) and just let things sink in and play out as they should.

So question: How open would you be about exploring either the past or the future (like close to our time), bit of timetravel or even alternative universes that are established as such? I have had the occasional thought on it, but usually didn't think too much of it, mostly just the past for backstories and such.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tired of the MCU and I've seen two movies total Laughing. The Marvelization of the film industry in general has become cumbersome tbh

zitagirl wrote:
So question: How open would you be about exploring either the past or the future (like close to our time), bit of time travel or even alternative universes that are established as such? I have had the occasional thought on it, but usually didn't think too much of it, mostly just the past for backstories and such.

It's actually kind of shocking they didn't do that at least once given Genie does it all the time. But maybe he doesn't have enough power to have all of them time travel anymore and just enough for himself through whatever privileges genies get for such a thing (or maybe he doesn't want them to see the future; he's shown them too much as it is just goofing around Laughing)
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like crossover potential... The Doctor and the Arabian Night? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum