Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Stereotypical
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stereotypical
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LadyApocalymon
Elemental

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hourglass wrote:
The movies are geared towards children... older people just enjoy them.

I would provide a rebuttal to this, if only based on remarks by those who make these movies, but I won't. 'Twould be straying off-topic, and besides, I dislike arguing.
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nez wrote:
They pick on "Hunchback" for being anti-clergy.

Frollo was a priest in the original book but not in the movie. Rolling Eyes
Calluna

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyApocalymon wrote:
Hourglass wrote:
The movies are geared towards children... older people just enjoy them.

I would provide a rebuttal to this, if only based on remarks by those who make these movies, but I won't. 'Twould be straying off-topic, and besides, I dislike arguing.

Well, they try to make them so adults can enjoy them, too, but children are always the primary audience. Razz
Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You wouldn't be arguing, you would be backing up your opinion. Go ahead, it's not like I'm mad... I want to hear what you have to say.

MEESH AND MYSTICMEG'S COMBINED STORY!!!

Just another weird lil' fanfiction obsession of mine...
Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, they try to make them so adults can enjoy them, too, but children are always the primary audience.

I'll agree with this because it's true. The audience they try to attract is children, but in the movie, they always try to add some "adult humor"... like Genie in Aladdin... he was chalk full of adult humor.

But, then it isn't always the humor, it's the characters themselves... like Frollo in "Hunchback of Notre Dame," or Ursula in TLM... she was just a villian to the children, but to the adults... she had a great persona about her... she wasn't just the bland villian.

That's what attracts an older audience.

LadyApocalymon
Elemental

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if I'm allowed to support my opinion... Smile

I agree with you, Hourglass, but I also think that dividing the audience so starkly like that makes Disney movies seem too commercial. Yes, most of them are, but the early 90s Broadway films like Aladdin were made by incredibly talented people on all fronts (animators, voice actors, composers/lyricists) and those people were striving to make movies that would appeal to everyone - not just children. I am reminded of a quotation from the Aladdin DVD, though I cannot remember who said it - one of the animators, I believe.

"People say, 'Oh, you've got the monkey for the kids and the Robin stuff for the adults.' We don't think that way at all. We put in what's funny to us, and hope that it will be funny to other people, too."

As I am pulling that from my memory, it is not word-for-word, but the gist is my main point. Yes, these movies contain no adult language or explicit content; yes, they are animated; and yes, they are marketed towards children - but that does not mean that they are "childish," or in some way inferior to other films.

I'm not saying Disney films aren't for children - obviously, they are! I'm just making the point that they aren't ONLY for children. If they were, most of us wouldn't be here at this board, now would we? Wink
Elemental

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not saying Disney films aren't for children - obviously, they are! I'm just making the point that they aren't ONLY for children. If they were, most of us wouldn't be here at this board, now would we?

You gave a good explanation, but you're implying that I meant that Disney movies are made just for children. I didn't say that, I said that the things people are complaining about their kids seeing are too "overhead" for kids to grasp. The main message is clear for children, and that's the reason that kids like them... because there isn't multiple plot points or things they need to recognize... they keep it simple.

I said in an earlier post that I know that the movies are made for kids of all ages... but they are geared to the "10 and under" age group in the commercialization and product/merchandise.

Jas
Cool Colonel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hourglass wrote:

And who the hell is going to get that "Lion King" is based on "Hamlet." I dont' even really see the connection, all though I never studied the story Hamlet either. But I want to know one little kid who would relate the two.
Like with anything, it's a connection that you definitely won't see unless you are familiar with the original, in this case, play, and sometimes won't notice even if you are familiar with the original. Except for some wacko kid genius who has devoted many hours to studying Shakespeare, no kid is going to connect Simba and Hamlet (or know who Hamlet is for that matter). Honestly, I enjoyed reading Hamlet in high school, and didn't notice that The Lion King was based on it until someone pointed it out to me. Rolling Eyes Like it's been said earlier, people like to complain.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Pocahontas was a movie that was kid friendly, but was definitely geared towards the older folks. I still look at the movie blankly the whole time unless Flik, Percy and Meeko are on the screen making me laugh. That's a movie where they've got the dog and the raccoon for the kids and the native American and the Englishman stuff for the adults.

I never really watched it when I was younger because a lot of the stuff I see now went over my head and I just didn't get it. I was used to something zany happening and when I didn't see that I didn't watch the movie.

Same thing with HBOND. I just stared at it unless the gargoyles or Djahli was on the screen making me laugh.

I appreciate these movies now that I am older because I am older. But I also appreciate and understand more of Aladdin the older I get as well. When I was 10, I so didn't get why my dad was laughing when Genie said "I thought the earth wasn't supposed to move until their honeymoon?" Now I do Laughing

So, I'd say they make a movie for all ages and keep all in mind, but it's just a matter of how much you understand at your age that makes it more enjoyable.
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like the movies that seem to be more 'adult' more than the ones that are more 'childish' (I don't like that term, but it's all I could think of)

Beauty and the Beast and Hunchback of Notre Dame are my two favorite features, and both of which are more adultish. BatB is, to be, the best example of Disney going for all ages. The music, plot, etc catch you as a kid, but as an adult, the love story seems...better, I don't know. And "I'm especially good at expactorating" is brilliance. Laughing HoND obviously has the adult factor. As a kid, I didn't like it- at all. But when I watched it for the first time in years about 2 years ago, I *loved* it. I cried, I laughed, I shunned the gargoyles... and Hellfire is just so awesome.

There is a trend now of more Disney films being "adultish". I'm thinking Atlantis, Treasure Planet, and Brother Bear (the beginning, anyway). I like the trend, myself.
LadyApocalymon
Elemental

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hourglass wrote:
I didn't say that, I said that the things people are complaining about their kids seeing are too "overhead" for kids to grasp.

I completely missed that point, somehow. This is why I'm not on the debate team. Laughing I wouldn't have even argued, then - you're quite right.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyApocalymon wrote:

I completely missed that point, somehow. This is why I'm not on the debate team.

But you can be on the "review this movie" team. You bring up good points really well. *thinks of your ROJ review* Laughing
LadyApocalymon
Elemental

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
But you can be on the "review this movie" team. You bring up good points really well. *thinks of your ROJ review* Laughing

Yeah...film crit/lit crit is easier than actually arguing back and forth with another person. Laughing I've eased up my opinion on RoJ, though...I mean, I still don't like it, but if it was supposed to be the first four TV eps and the Powers That Be forced it to become a movie, that's no fault of the production team. I can readily forgive them for that.
Squirrelly Minion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Princess Jas wrote:
Hourglass wrote:

And who the hell is going to get that "Lion King" is based on "Hamlet." I dont' even really see the connection, all though I never studied the story Hamlet either. But I want to know one little kid who would relate the two.
Like with anything, it's a connection that you definitely won't see unless you are familiar with the original, in this case, play, and sometimes won't notice even if you are familiar with the original. Except for some wacko kid genius who has devoted many hours to studying Shakespeare, no kid is going to connect Simba and Hamlet (or know who Hamlet is for that matter). Honestly, I enjoyed reading Hamlet in high school, and didn't notice that The Lion King was based on it until someone pointed it out to me. Rolling Eyes Like it's been said earlier, people like to complain.

*ahem* Actually, they didn't base it on Hamlet from the beginning, they just noticed similarities when they already had the plot done, I believe *nodnod* And there are some differences...Scar doesn't marry Sarabi, Timon and Pumbaa don't know Scar,...and everyone doesn't die at the end xD Oh yes, wouldn't that make a lovely Disney movie?
Cool Colonel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nanuk wrote:

*ahem* Actually, they didn't base it on Hamlet from the beginning, they just noticed similarities when they already had the plot done, I believe *nodnod* And there are some differences...Scar doesn't marry Sarabi, Timon and Pumbaa don't know Scar,...and everyone doesn't die at the end xD Oh yes, wouldn't that make a lovely Disney movie?
Ok, bad word choice in my previous post. If I remember what they said on the commentary (been about a year) they were trying to think of things to do, wanted to put the conflict in the family, like an uncle, realized the similarity to Hamlet, and went with it. And those differences you mentioned aren't really any bigger than the differences between any Disney movie and the original story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum