Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Why don't people like fics with Al'n'Jas's kids?
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why don't people like fics with Al'n'Jas's kids?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Fan Works
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazzeling diamond
Gypsy of Mystery

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Why don't people like fics with Al'n'Jas's kids? Reply with quote

k i was wondering, since i have come across quite a few people who don't like stories with their kids, or based around them. so why? i wonder.

Cause, I really like AladdinFan92's story, "If I Never Knew You" which is an awesome story. It is based on Al and Jas's daughter but they, as parents, are also very much a part of the story.

So why is it people are so against it?

It actually is an Aladdin fanfic...don't be put off by the banner Smile
Check it out Very Happy at

www.fanfiction.net/~elementalfour
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There've been several posts in multiple topics that explain exactly why people don't like seeing fanfiction/sequels centering around Aladdin and Jasmine's (or anyone's) kids. In a nutshell, people are tired of...

-Kewler, hipper version of Mom/Dad reliving Mom/Dad's adventures. (Or a completely canned-plot adventure.)

-Mom/Dad suddenly turning into washed-up old fogies while junior goes out and gets into trouble. (While Mom and Dad Just Don't Understand, usually.)

Fanfictions/sequels about children could be done well. It's just that it doesn't seem to happen very often.

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Why don't people like fics with Al'n'Jas's kids? Reply with quote

dazzeling diamond wrote:
k i was wondering, since i have come across quite a few people who don't like stories with their kids, or based around them. so why? i wonder.

Cause, I really like AladdinFan92's story, "If I Never Knew You" which is an awesome story. It is based on Al and Jas's daughter but they, as parents, are also very much a part of the story.

So why is it people are so against it?

I can't say for sure, since I don't necessarily feel that way, but maybe it's because with kids, Aladdin and Jasmine aren't the same, or at least people think that. Or, maybe it's because in every fanfic where they have kids, people have different ideas about names, how many kids, etc.

~Hikaru
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number of children don't really bother me, and as long as the names make sense culturally-speaking, I'll be good.

If a story about Aladdin and Jasmine is set some time after they were married, I'd prefer them to have children - it only makes sense. But... it'd have to be done right for me to enjoy it.

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
Calluna
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying I could never like a fic about their kids, but the main reasons I haven't liked others are for one of these reasons:

- One or more of the kids is a Mary Sue
- there's no plot; it's just about the kids being cute Razz
- it's a cliched love story involving one of the kids
- Al and Jas act out of character, important canon characters (usually Genie) disappear for no reason

Edit: so you know, I'm not talking about AladdinFan92's fic; I haven't read it yet beyond just skimming to make sure it was appropriate for the site. A couple of fics about their kids that I do remember liking were Sedeara's "The Life of Mine, for the Life of Yours" and "A Question of Virtue". Smile

Last edited by Calluna on Fri May 05, 2006 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dazzeling diamond
Gypsy of Mystery

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm, interesting points. so, what u guys r saying, is taht u don't mind it, but the ones that are written don't tend to be written well and usually fall under the same spell each time?

Calluna
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazzeling diamond wrote:
Hmmmmm, interesting points. so, what u guys r saying, is taht u don't mind it, but the ones that are written don't tend to be written well and usually fall under the same spell each time?
I think you were posting this while I made my edit, but, yes. Laughing I'll read about pretty much anything if it's written well. Al's kids fics just tend to have a worse track record for some reason. Sad
dazzeling diamond
Gypsy of Mystery

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's too bad. I guess people just have to be careful how they do it, just like with any fanfiction Very Happy

AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Aladdin and Jasmine's kids, or any characters' kids, for that mater *cough* LM2 *cough* should overshadow the characters we grew to love.
But you have to understand that firstly, having kids can change anyone's life. Now, I so cannot see Al and Jas becoming boring sticks in the mud. No way in Hell. Nor can I see an end to the adventures. Yeah right. Like the villains and monsters are just going to leave Agrabah alone just because Al has kids. No. If anything, some villains might try to get to Aladdin through his kids. It happens all the time.

I think Al and Jas would make cool parents.

~Hikaru
dazzeling diamond
Gypsy of Mystery

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, ur right. cool shoe by the way!

VampireNaomi
Sultan

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reasons for not really liking those fics are similar to what's already been said. I think it's annoying that the child is often the main character. I read fanfiction to see the new adverntures of canon characters, not some usually annoying original character.

Besides, most of these stories are about Aladdin and Jasmine's teenage daughter. I'm getting really sick of that. What I'd like to see is a fic about them having a seven-year-old son who acts like normal kids do and does NOT tag along to their adventures. I can't stand fics about the kid disobeying everyone and then saving the day (think of Jade in Jackie Chan Adventures and you know what I mean).
dazzeling diamond
Gypsy of Mystery

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess everyone has their own opinions. I don't mind the ones about teenage daughters, actually. I only care that it is well written and good.

I do get ur point though, coz they tend to get repetitve if the author isn't careful.

AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VampireNaomi wrote:
My reasons for not really liking those fics are similar to what's already been said. I think it's annoying that the child is often the main character. I read fanfiction to see the new adverntures of canon characters, not some usually annoying original character.

Besides, most of these stories are about Aladdin and Jasmine's teenage daughter. I'm getting really sick of that. What I'd like to see is a fic about them having a seven-year-old son who acts like normal kids do and does NOT tag along to their adventures. I can't stand fics about the kid disobeying everyone and then saving the day (think of Jade in Jackie Chan Adventures and you know what I mean).

Ummm...Al and Jas should not have a teenage kid. I never knew there was a fic out there.

Are there any fics with the "Chibi Usa" approach? Bleh... Anyone know what I'm talking about?

~Hikaru
Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrincessHikaru wrote:
VampireNaomi wrote:

Ummm...Al and Jas should not have a teenage kid. I never knew there was a fic out there.

Are there any fics with the "Chibi Usa" approach? Bleh... Anyone know what I'm talking about?

~Hikaru

Over here, we call her "Sailor Mini-Moon", but I can see what you mean. Little kid sister figure who is actually little kid daughter from the near future comes to help her future parents. Is often a total brat and is openly not impress with said parents as teens/children.

As for Al and Jas, would they say "no" to an adventure if it took them too far away from their children? I'm working on a story where Aladdin is faced with that choice. I'm not saying that Aladdin would do it all the time, but I'm trying to see if Aladdin or Jasmine would put their children first before going on an adventure.
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't actually write fics but I draw comics a lot.. I guess they're quite the same..

In one of the strips Jasmine gives birth to a baby boy. Al and Jas decide to show him a whole new world and they go fly around the world on the carpet. When they arrive in India, the parents start fighting over some real stupid thing and the baby falls off the carpet. They can't find him anywhere and fly back to Agrabah. After some time Baghera finds the crying baby and names him Mowgli.

I hope it wasn't too mean. Very Happy I drew the comic mainly as a joke.

I can't imagine drawing a comic with Aladdin and Jasmine's children as one of the main characters, talking with everyone and doing his/her own heroic&adventurous stuff etc. I could accept it if Disney created the children but other ways... noo.

But, people can write what they want. I don't even read fics so whatever. I don't wanna know. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Fan Works All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum